Thursday, April 16, 2009

READ WHAT WE'VE BEEN HEARING...

TOP 10½ REASONS EXCUSES FOR NOT WANTING TO ATTEND (and my responses) ****************************************************************** 1. “I never liked any of those people when I was in school, why would I want to see them now.” Really? There was not one single person in our class that you liked? Not even a little bit? There's not one single person you never thought of, never wondered what happened to him/her? Really. 2. “I’m old.” Guess what? We’re all older…on the outside. It would be kind of creepy if we all showed up and still looked like teenagers, don’t you think? 3. “I’m fatter than I was in high school.” Who aint?! Honestly, there’s no plan to hold an official weigh-in. 4. “I’m bald.” It’s only hair. Besides, do you think you will be the ONLY guy sporting the Isaac Hayes look? If it really bothers you that much – tell everyone it’s a choice, that you shave your head! 5.“The last time I talked with him/her we had a fight, and I don’t want to revisit that.” Please. Do you really think…after 40 years… that person will care? Or even remember? 6. “I haven’t done anything remarkable with/in my life.” The dictionary defines remarkable as “worthy of notice, worth noticing or commenting on.” In my opinion, this pretty much applies to everything - anyone has ever done! Including, but certainly not limited to, loving your spouse and your children - going to work - taking out the garbage – patting your dog - caring for your parents/siblings…everything! However, if your definition is…being President of the United States- inventing the microchip- having a line of tennis shoes, that cost $400 a pair, named for you- rolling over in bed and (depending on your preference) rubbing noses with Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie… then might I suggest a revised dictionary. 7. “I’m busy.” Everyone is busy. We live in a busy world. You’re not committing to a life long adventure. It’s one day (two maybe). The universe will not crumble, time will not re-set, stars will not realign if you take a day to visit with some old friends. 8. “I don’t have anything in common with any of them any more; I’ll have nothing to talk about, I’ll be bored.” When you use the word “I” three times, in one excuse…I have three words for you - Get over yourself. 9. “Every reunion - the same “clicks” that made me feel uncomfortable when I was in high school, make me feel uncomfortable and will make me feel that way this time.” I’m no shrink, but I think, after 40 years, maybe it’s time that everyone put on your big girl/ big boy pants, take a deep calming, breath and… let this whole “click” thing go! 10. “I can’t afford the trip.” Ok, this one could get a little touchy, but I’ll give it a shot. If you need to fly: I understand and can sympathize, if you need to travel any distance to attend. Especially given the fact you might have to consider selling an organ to procure airfare, but - let’s get a little creative. Do you have any frequent flyer miles you can use? Is there a family member with miles, who you can ask if they would be willing to transfer enough needed miles to you? Is there some legitimate business you can conduct while you’re in town (or close) so that you can write off the ticket? While it can be a time consuming, frustrating “crap shoot” Standby is still an option with most airlines. If you choose to drive: If your spouse or your kid or your neighbor’s car is a beat-up, but reliable, old heap that gets a gazillion miles to the gallon and your car is a shiny new behemoth that gets 2 miles to the gallon…borrow the heap! Nobody cares. There will not be a bunch of people standing out in the parking lot, assessing and scoring you, by the car you arrive in! Again, if it’s really going to bother you, park a couple of blocks away and walk – tell anyone who notices you strolling down the sidewalk, that you are very health conscious and just needed to get in your daily exercise. If you know there’s a classmate in your town, or close by (even if you infrequently or never talk to him/her) pick up the phone and call him/her, and propose… ROAD TRIP! Grab up your CD collection of “oldies but goodies”, toss your money into a gas kitty, and…head out on the highway! There was a movie (a while ago) about a guy who drove his riding mower (across at least one state, if I remember correctly) to see his critically ill brother. Now, I’m not saying that attending a high school reunion is even close to that, in importance, but rather as an example, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” Where to stay: Discount lodging has been arranged in Streetsboro, see details here on the blog at REUNION UPDATE. The keyword here is discount. While it’s not free, it’s a good deal and less than booking on your own at area motels. Here’s another idea. Let’s say you haven’t talked with your grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, cousin, any relative, who still lives in this area, since the funeral for your third cousin, once removed, 12 years ago – you’re still family! Write or call them and ask if you can stay there for one or two nights. If you don’t have any family still around here, but your fellow “Road Warrior” does - hey, two can mooch as easily as one! Besides, if their relative is really, really old - just introduce yourself as cousin so-and-so…who knows, they could go so far as to pinch your cheek and tell you how you haven’t changed a bit! 10 ½ “I want to come, but…this is embarrassing, I just don’t have the 30 bucks.” No smart ass answer. Bottom line, everybody needs a little help now and then. Email me: sal-lentz@neo.rr.com I’ll figure something out. No one will be the wiser. Well, there you have it, the Top 10 ½ Reasons Excuses For NOT Wanting To Attend. I should tell you, while writing out this list, I started thinking- what is it about a High School Class reunion that is cause for what is often taken as apathy and sometimes perceived as outright animosity? In truth, I think, IT is actually - fear. If that is the cause, then maybe this will help: “The first and great commandment is: Don't let them scare you.” Elmer Davis It might also be helpful to remember – you grew up with these people, some going back as far as kindergarten - you rode the same stinky buses, ate the same crappy food, shared secrets, formed friendships, attained milestones, suffered disappointments, sought truths, fought injustices, felt slighted, felt elated, hated everyone, and loved everyone. You cried together, laughed together, and rode out the 60’s together. You’d think after surviving all that together, surely you can survive one night (ok- again, two maybe) together!

4 comments:

Pam Summers Lee said...

I must admit that I have used a few of these excuses myself. Luckily they haven't stopped me from "putting on my big girl panties" and attended past reunions.

We have all made tons of milestones in our lives. Most of us have raised children, watched our parents and loved ones pass on to another place. We've all experienced joy, laughter and broken hearts, yet somehow we survive. Some of us have known each other since birth, some since kindergarten, and for some of us, our best friend didn't appear in our lives until high school. It doesn't really matter because we all share the same bond....we spent a lot of years together and shared so many great things. These special gatherings are a time where we can reflect, laugh and cry at all the wonderful, crazy stuff we did when we were young.

I truly hope everyone will do whatever they can to attend our 40th reunion'cause it sure would be nice to see you and chat with you after all these years.

Pam Summers

Anonymous said...

I definitely can relate to #2 and #3 but that won't stop me from coming to the reunion.
As Billy Joel said "Don't go changing to try and please me...I love you (all) just the way you are! Now get your asses, skinny or fat, to the reunion. Don't make me take away your AARP card.

Mel

Mama (LuAnn) Sage said...

You've just talked me into attending our 40th, also RHS, next year. Awesome words of advice here. :-)

Mel said...

LuAnn...you will not regret that decision. I think that most of our classmates had a great time.